"Rolling Advertisement on Monuments and Antiquities documentation-reg." "List of shortlisted candidates for the interview for the admission in PGDA 2023-25"

Museum – Bijapur


The Archaeological Musuem, Gol Gumbaz Complex
(District Bijapur, Karnataka)

Bijapur (Lat. 16° 49’ N, Long. 75° 42’ E) is situated about 110 km south of Sholapur, 204 km north of Dharwad and 220 km from Belgaum. It has railway station on the Gadag-Sholapur meter gauge railway line. The nearest airport is Hyderabad, about 380 km away.

Bijapur, known with ancient name Vijayapuri meaning city of victory, was the capital of the Adilshahis who ruled from 1489 AD to 1686 AD. A number of religious, secular and defense structures built during the Adilshahi period are located in and around Bijapur. The town is encircled by a fort wall running for a length of about 10 km.

The museum located in the Naqquar Khana (Trumpet House) of the Gol Gumbaz Complex, was originally established as a district museum in 1892. Later on it was taken over to develop it as a site museum in 1982. Naqquar Khana is in typical Adilshahi architectural style and has elevated platforms and tall and loft arches raised over massive piers. The large and good massive showcases introduced by the British officers, themselves have become good examples of antique furniture.

The collection comprises of stone inscriptions of Arabic, Persian, Kannada and Sanskrit languages in different scripts and written in varied calligraphy, Brahmanical and Jaina sculptures, hero stones, illustrated and plain manuscripts, coins, China wares, wooden carving, carpets, maps, sanads and firmans, miniature pantings, Bidiri ware and other house hold articles, datable from 6th to 18th century AD.

The museum has six galleries, three in the ground floor and the rest in upper story. It houses a majority of movable cultural property of the region with a special collection of Adilshahi art objects.

The first gallery displays Brahmanical sculptures and second gallery has Jain sculptures. Third gallery displays inscriptions of Arabic, Persian, Sanskrit and Kannada languages with a variety of calligraphy. Fourth gallery exhibits arms, weapons and other metal wares. Fifth gallery has miniature painting, carpets, smaller metal objects. Sixth gallery exhibits Arabic and Persian manuscript, China porcelain wares etc. Inscribed slabs depicting excellent calligraphy, illustrated manuscripts of the Holy Quran, arms and weapons, well attired torso of a royal person, photo enlargements of excellent specimens of Adilshahi miniatures, translides of kings and queens and world’s famous monuments comparable with Gol Gumbaz are the main attractions in the museum.

Opening Hours : 10.00 am to 5.00 pm
Closed on – Friday

Entrance Fee :
Rs. 5/- per head
(Children up to 15 years free)

List of Monuments
For more informations, Please visit:

Contact Detail

Dr. A. V. Naganoor
Assistant superintending Archaeologist
Archaeological Museum, Archaeological Survey of India, Gol Gumbaz, Bijapur –586 101 Karnataka,
Ph: 08352-250725 (t-f)
e-mail: mus[dot]bijapur[at]gmail[dot]com

Facebook Twitter