Tirumayam Fort, Pudukkottai

hdr_tn_thirumayam

Sethupati Vijaya Raghunatha Tevan (1673-1708) of Ramanathapuram, popularly known as Kilavan Sethupati, built this fortification on and around the small hillock at Tirumayam in Pudukkottai district. The fort later came under the control of Tondaiman rulers of Pudukkottai. It has a main gateway on the east in the lowermost wall with shrines for guardian deities like Ganesa, Hanuman and Bhairava. There is a moat around the lower wall. On the top of the rock is bastion with cannon of British origin. The construction of the fort is of inferior quality as small blocks of stones were used along with bricks for the crenulations of the fortification. However, on the other side of the rock are located three rock-cut temples, two of them dedicated to Siva and the third to Vishnu, which are historically and religiously more important.

Facebook Twitter