Karenghar Palace, Joyasagar
Loacted in Joysagar region of Sivasagar district, Karenghar Palace(Lat. 26° 58’ N Long. 94° 41′ E), is the largest among the Ahom monuments situated on the bank of the Dikhow river. Historical chronicle narrates that Rudra Singha (AD 1696-1714) founded the city of Rangpur in 1698 AD and constructed a palace made of wood and other locally available impermanent materials. However, the present edifice of brick masonry was built by his successor Rajeswara Singha (AD 1751-9). The monument is built in a north-south axis with long annexes at either ends and at the middle. Except an octagonal small temple, guard room, three large chambers and a big hall with courtyard having separate entrance, the entire area on this floor is left open. Presence of numerous post holes on the terrace indicate the practice of erecting temporary shades occasionally to cater the needs of ceremonial gatherings.
Recent archaeological excavation has exposed the remains of burnt wooden logs, post holes, burnt brick structures and pathways on the northern and western sides respectively. The remains of wooden logs and post holes suggest that a structure of impermanent material was existed at the site.
Timings of visit: sunrise to sunset
Citizens of India and visitors of SAARC (Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Maldives and Afghanistan) and BIMSTEC Countries (Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Myanmar) – Rs. 15 per head & Foreigner: Rs.200/-
(Free entry for children below the age of 15)