Adjoining the eastern wall of the Khwabgah is a semi-octagonal tower, called Muthamman-Burj (‘octagonal tower’), where the emperor appeared every morning before his subjects, the ceremony being known as darshan. A balcony projecting from the central side of the Muthamman-Burj was constructed in 1223 A.H. (1808-09) by Akbar II (1806-37), as stated by him in an inscription over its arches. It was from this balcony that King George V and Queen Mary appeared before the public in 1911.
The eastern side of the fortification wall, at the
right centre is the Muthamman-Burj, Red Fort