|Home > About
|ASI is a large organization with an organized work force at the base and the Director General at the apex. Its major activities inter-alia are as under :-
- Conducting archaeological explorations and excavations;
- Maintenance, conservation and preservation of protected monuments and archaeological sites and remains of national importance;
- Chemical preservation of monuments and antiquarian remains;
- Architectural survey of monuments;
- Epigraphical and numismatic studies;
- Setting up and re-organization of Site Museums;
- Training in Archaeology;
- Bringing out archaeological publications;
- Archaeological expeditions outside India ;
- Horticulture operation in and around ancient monuments and sites.
- Implementation and regulation of - The Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958;
- The Antiquities and Art Treasures Act, 1972, etc.